Christmas is close and the Christmas rush has started.
Going shopping for presents, organising what to wear, thinking about what food we will make, putting up decorations, but what about our dog?
What will they be doing on Christmas day?
Below are some ways we can help them feel less stressed
Your & your dog are going to someone else house
1. Take them to that house before the day if you can, so you can make it a positive experience
2. Take them for a walk or sniffari well before you go
3. Find them a space where they are able to retreat to (a crate, a bedroom, a dog bed)
4. Bring comfort items from home (their bed from home, a soft toy, their favourite toy)
5. Give them something to do or something to chew (puzzle toy, kong, chew, licki mat)
6. Keep them on a leash or a tether close to you (always supervised)
Christmas is at your house
1. Stick to routine as best you can
2. Take them for a walk or sniffari well before guests arrive
3. Set up a safe space for them to be able to retreat to
6. Use Adpatil sprays or diffusors
7. Use baby gates or barriers to reduce access
8. Keep them on a leash or a tether close to you (always supervised)
9. Put up a sign or text people in advance explaining your dogs needs Eg. Please don't pat the dog, please don't feed the dog etc
Now you can be well prepared to have a stress-free Christmas
Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions
For more training information and support visit www.sohelpmedog.net
©2023 So Help Me Dog All Rights Reserved.